Saturday, September 4, 2010

How to preserve butter and sugar corn:

We love butter and sugar corn. It's just about the best part of late New England summers. It's tasty and messy and I could eat it every day.

......and if you freeze it you can eat it in the winter too!

So I bought 3 dozen ears of corn, husked, and rinsed them all. Then I cut off any funky ends.

Immersed them in boiling water for 3 minutes. (this is called blanching I'm told) =0P


And once the timer went off I quickly put them into a big bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.

Then I packed them all tightly into large freezer bags. About 8 ears to a bag. The next step is important. I close the bag up except for a teeny slit and insert a straw, then I suck out all the air, quickly remove the straw and completely seal the bag.


The top bag has had the air sucked out, the others haven't and you can see the difference. This helps eliminate freezer burn and the corn lasts longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment