Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How to make peach pie filling

I loove peaches and peach pie, and I was tired of canning. So, I searched through my trusty, wrinkled, and stained copy of the Blue Balls Book of Canning, or whatever it's called, and found this recipe for peach pie filling that you FREEZE.

Here goes

Gather ingredients. (which I did first this time.)

  • 6 pounds peaches

  • 1 lemon (for 2t of peel and 1/4C juice)

  • 2 1/4Csugar

  • 1/2C flour

  • 1t cinnamon

  • 1/2t nutmeg
Wash peaches and blanch them in boiling water. This makes it MUCH easier to peel.




Peel and pit them, and cut into slices. Now the book says "treat to prevent darkening", I sprinkled lemon juice on them, but they probably meant their "fruit Fresh produce protector". Whatever, lemon juice worked for me.






 Combine sugar, flour, and spices.



Rinse and drain peaches. Stir into sugar mixture. Let stand 30 minutes or until juices begin to flow. LEMON!!

Stir in lemon peel and juice.


Cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken. That took about 10 minutes.
Ladle hot mix into freezer jars, let cool off for no more than 2 hours.  FREEZE This was easy peasy lemon squeezy (lol, get it?)

AND

Shop at Klem's!

No comments:

Post a Comment